We are more than happy to answer your questions, but here are some of the common answers:
COVID UPDATE 5/11/2022 (click here)
- When are programs? Fall starts in mid-September and goes until December. Winter starts a couple weeks into January, and goes through to mid-May. Summer programs start when school is out (mid-June) and are subject to weather and staff availability – but usually are just in June and part of July.
- When does registration open? Registration is open about a month before programs begin, except summer programs. Summer registration opens about two months before.
- How do I register: At our web page: www.venturawild.com.
- Do you accept charter school funds? Yes, see details CHARTER
- Do you have scholarships? Yes, apply SCHOLARSHIPS
- What is your cancellation policy? CANCELLATION POLICY
- Where do programs meet? LOCATION INFO
- What should my child bring / wear? TO WEAR / TO BRING
- Behavior Policy: Generally children are excited and happy to participate in our programs, and we don’t really have behavior issues. We keep kids involved, inspired, and their needs both physically and emotionally are met by caring attentive staff. We set clear agreements at the beginning of each week as a group, and review how we are doing through the week. We address issues that come up immediately and are able to discuss solutions and practice good communication skills.
- What if the weather is extreme? We typically enjoy whatever weather comes our way, but sometimes conditions are not safe for one reason or another and we need to cancel. We will let you know by noon on the day of the program. If that is too late for your logistical needs, please let us know, or contact Lead Staff for updates about potential cancellation.
- What about snakes, ticks, mountain lions and other wild creatures? During our programs we teach the kids nature awareness and make agreements to respect and give space to wild creatures of all kinds. We do tick checks regularly, and we learn to keep our eyes open and our feet and hands in view. Usually large groups of kids send wildlife scampering for hiding.
- What happens in a day of Ventura Wild? Generally we start with games and group activities to get out the wiggles. Then we gather for a circle share. After that we cycle through explorations, skills, group and alone time, and we end with a circle share of our day. Days are child centered and place based. We focus on the moment, not the goal, and we direct the group to find inspiration and curiosity in ways that are fun and meaningful to each person. We do lots of asking questions, wondering, wandering, collecting treasures, digging holes, splashing in water, and playing with sticks and stones. Strangely the children learn so much! Depending on the age we might pose questions and model concern, problem solving, and investigation. We all are challenged and engaged.