We are more than happy to answer your questions, but here are some of the common answers:
- When are programs? Fall starts in mid-September and goes until December. Winter starts a couple weeks into January, and goes through to mid-May. Summer programs start when school is out (mid-June) and are subject to weather and staff availability – but usually are just in June and part of July.
- When does registration open? Registration is open about a month before programs begin, except summer programs. Summer registration opens about two months before.
- How do I register: At our web page: www.venturawild.com.
- Do you accept charter school funds? Yes, see details CHARTER
- Do you have scholarships? Yes, apply SCHOLARSHIPS
- What is your cancellation policy? Here it is:
- Within 48 hours of registering you can receive the full registration refund minus 10% processing fee.
- Within 48 hours of your program starting and after the program begins, there will be No refund provided. It is just too hard to fill programs. Thank you for considering this before registering and understanding.
- Before the 48 hour cut-off, if we can fill the spot, you can receive a refund minus 10% processing fee. If we cannot fill the spot we are unable to issue a refund.
- NOTE: Though we do have waiting lists, people often make other plans and we can’t always fill a spot on short notice.
- If programs must be cancelled due to camp-related reasons, you will receive a prorated refund for all remaining days of camp (minus the 10% processing fee).
TO CANCEL: We have worked very hard to find and train our staff. Late cancellations hugely affect staff confidence in employment, and our budget and sustainability. Thank you for understanding. Please email or call the director, Heather King with your request: 805-310-1461 or email@example.com
PLEASE REGISTER EARLY, AND CONSIDER A CANCELLATION IMPACT CAREFULLY ON THE GROUP! We hope you understand that our staff only get to work when we have enough registrations. With a 4:1 ratio we need 8 kids to have two staff, and 12 kids for three staff. If we run under that, we have to subsidize the programs with more fundraising instead of more programs, and we often lose staff due to insecurity of income. Cancellations can really affect our program viability. Thanks for your understanding and support!
7. Where do programs meet? View LOCATIONS. Our programs move around the Ventura River Watershed, Ventura and Ojai wild places. Most programs define a range of locations within Ojai or Ventura wild spaces. If you didn’t receive an email from your program Lead Staff, contact Heather King at firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. What should my child bring / wear? Please make sure everything fits into their backpack and they can carry it with snack and water bottle inside, and do not send anything extra.
WEAR EACH DAY:
- day pack that everything fits into
- sunscreen (one coat already applied) and/or sun hat
- light long pants
- light button down long sleeve shirt that can get dirty
- old sneakers or closed-toed hiking sandals – NO FLIP FLOPS
- full water bottles – at least 1/2 liter total
- healthy snacks – please minimize single use wrappers/potential litter!
- DO NOT SEND toys, cell phones, games or gadgets
- We suggest a towel, change of clothes, and extra shoes in the pick-up car
- A warm jacket and hat if chilly day
9. What if it looks like rain? We love to play in the rain! Wet days are more fun when everyone comes prepared. If there is a chance of rain, or it has been raining, please send your children with:
Poncho or rain jacket
Warm jacket/sweater (under waterproof layer)
Warm socks – preferably wool if a cold rain.
A change of clothes in a separate plastic bag is helpful but not required. Can be in pick-up car instead. Ventura Wild often means muddy and wet kids…sometimes WAY muddy and wet. Please welcome them prepared and with time to accommodate them in your car, and they will be very happy kids!
10. What if the weather is extreme? We typically enjoy whatever weather comes our way, but sometimes conditions are not safe for one reason or another and we need to cancel. We will let you know by noon on the day of the program. If that is too late for your logistical needs, please let us know, or contact Lead Staff for updates about potential cancellation.
11. What about snakes, ticks, mountain lions and other wild creatures? During our programs we teach the kids nature awareness and make agreements to respect and give space to wild creatures of all kinds. We do tick checks regularly, and we learn to keep our eyes open and our feet and hands in view. Usually large groups of kids send wildlife scampering for hiding.
12. What happens in a day of Ventura Wild? Generally we start with games and group activities to get out the wiggles. Then we gather for a circle share. After that we cycle through explorations, skills, group and alone time, and we end with a circle share of our day. Days are child centered and place based. We focus on the moment, not the goal, and we direct the group to find inspiration and curiosity in ways that are fun and meaningful to each person. We do lots of asking questions, wondering, wandering, collecting treasures, digging holes, splashing in water, and playing with sticks and stones. Strangely the children learn so much! Depending on the age we might pose questions and model concern, problem solving, and investigation. We all are challenged and engaged.
Phone: Director Heather King at 805-310-1461