We are more than happy to answer your questions, but here are some of the common answers:
- When are programs? Fall starts in mid-September and goes until December. Winter starts a couple weeks into January, and goes through to mid-May. Summer programs start when school is out (mid-June) and are subject to weather and staff availability – but usually are just in June and part of July.
- When does registration open? Registration is open about a month before programs begin, except summer programs. Summer registration opens about two months before.
- How do I register: At our web page: www.venturawild.com.
- Do you accept charter school funds? Yes, see details CHARTER
- Do you have scholarships? Yes, apply SCHOLARSHIPS
- What is your cancellation policy? CANCELLATION POLICY
- Where do programs meet? LOCATION INFO
- What should my child bring / wear? TO WEAR / TO BRING
- What if it looks like rain? We love to play in the rain! Wet days are more fun when everyone comes prepared. If there is a chance of rain, or it has been raining, please send your children with:
- Rain boots
- Poncho or rain jacket
- Warm jacket/sweater (under waterproof layer)
- Warm socks – preferably wool if a cold rain.
A change of clothes in a separate plastic bag is helpful but not required. Can be in pick-up car instead. Ventura Wild often means muddy and wet kids…sometimes WAY muddy and wet. Please welcome them prepared and with time to accommodate them in your car, and they will be very happy kids!
10. What if the weather is extreme? We typically enjoy whatever weather comes our way, but sometimes conditions are not safe for one reason or another and we need to cancel. We will let you know by noon on the day of the program. If that is too late for your logistical needs, please let us know, or contact Lead Staff for updates about potential cancellation.
11. What about snakes, ticks, mountain lions and other wild creatures? During our programs we teach the kids nature awareness and make agreements to respect and give space to wild creatures of all kinds. We do tick checks regularly, and we learn to keep our eyes open and our feet and hands in view. Usually large groups of kids send wildlife scampering for hiding.
12. What happens in a day of Ventura Wild? Generally we start with games and group activities to get out the wiggles. Then we gather for a circle share. After that we cycle through explorations, skills, group and alone time, and we end with a circle share of our day. Days are child centered and place based. We focus on the moment, not the goal, and we direct the group to find inspiration and curiosity in ways that are fun and meaningful to each person. We do lots of asking questions, wondering, wandering, collecting treasures, digging holes, splashing in water, and playing with sticks and stones. Strangely the children learn so much! Depending on the age we might pose questions and model concern, problem solving, and investigation. We all are challenged and engaged.
Phone: Director Heather King at 805-310-1461